Sign in to follow this  
Schovers

Newbie question!

Hi All

Complete newbie here, so this question is bound to have been asked before, so I'm sorry :-)

I was given a Cooper DIYBEER kit for Christmas and mixed it all up as instructed without a problem (lager) but it's been fermenting at a regular 18c for the the 7 days since, is this a problem, as the instructions say it should be higher (22-26c) ?

Any help would be appreciated

Schovers

In spite of the name on the label, that kit actually comes with an ale yeast, which makes it an ale. 18C will produce a clean, nice ale. Don't worry about it.

Cheers,

Christina.

Thank you for your reply Christina, so it's wait until I get two readings the same one after each other day, before I think about bottling?

After 4-7 days days you should be at a stable FG , don't even bother taking samples before 7 days

can highly recommend leaving it in the FV for 14 days total before bottling as this allows the yeast to clean up after themselves properly , patience is very important in brewing but they don't supply any in the kit .

Welcome to the hobby and the forum

Thank you all for your help

It's cold here (England) and the mix has dropped to 16c today, is this a problem or is it just a case of a few more days fermenting?

Sorry to ask such basic questions!

16 is a little low for it , Ale yeasts go to sleep if they get too cold

Try wrapping it in a blanket , we all started somewhere mate

Lager actually benefits from a colder tem' date=' 18 is nice[/quote']18 is nice for ale yeast, lagers are best around 9-12C depending on the strain, although I do raise mine to 18 after about 6 days.

Of course, this kit comes with an ale yeast so 18C is great. Already off to a good start.

sorry to continue this on..but i am also a newby to brewing...im on day 6 of fermination on coopers pale ale, i took small sample to test..it looks very misty/cloudy even after few mins. i noticed some people on here say 14 days? wat reading should i be getting etc..sorry so many questions..James

sorry to continue this on..but i am also a newby to brewing...im on day 6 of fermination on coopers pale ale' date=' i took small sample to test..it looks very misty/cloudy even after few mins. i noticed some people on here say 14 days? wat reading should i be getting etc..sorry so many questions..James[/quote']Cloudiness is normal, it's the yeast in suspension fermenting the malt sugars. The final gravity depends on what was added in the fermenter. You have the kit in there, what else did you add to it ? Brew enhancer, dextrose, malt extract etc.? What volume was it mixed to? What was the original gravity reading?

Over the course of a few days I have warmed the mix up to 20c, it has stabilized at 1018, is this okay to bottle?

Over the course of a few days I have warmed the mix up to 20c' date=' it has stabilized at 1018, is this okay to bottle? [/quote']

That is still quite high. My OS Coopers Lager i did a couple of months ago finished at 1008.

16 is a little low for it ' date=' Ale yeasts go to sleep if they get too cold

Try wrapping it in a blanket , we all started somewhere mate [/quote']

I use foil, shiny side in (winter) and shiny side out in summer.

Combined with newspaper or a blanket can give a 2 deg swing.

Over the course of a few days I have warmed the mix up to 20c' date=' it has stabilized at 1018, is this okay to bottle? [/quote']

If your getting the same reading for a couple days then its probably done.

Like Otto says above, it would be nice to know what your OG was then you can work out the abv of the brew. For example if it started at 1050 and finishes at 1018 the abv will be around 4.3% (you can add 0.3% to this if bottling as you get a little more in secondary fermentation)

Hi Titan8

It started off at 1042, and now is down to 1018

Looking at the mix, nothing seems to happening, very little froth on the top, a layer of sediment on the bottom.

I'm worried that this batch is going to be ruined as temperature dropped and then I warmed it up, still on wards and upwards.

No cause to worry, the yeast is quite forgiving when it comes to temperature variation.

Check you hydrometer in water - if it reads something other than 1000, you need to allow for it with all future readings (eg if it reads 1004 then allow 4 points).

The FG is partly dependant on the recipe in the first instance. What did you mix with the lager brew can and what is the brew volume?

3.2% ABV seems a little low, when you took last sample did you taste it? does it taste extra sweet.

pretty sure this kit comes with 1kg brew enhancer #1 and you should have had 23 ltr in the FV. Give it another day or so and if no change then bottle it. 14 days later put a couple in the fridge and give it a go.

lol was sitting on this reply for a while

Titan8

Just about to bottle it, and then see in a few weeks, no major problem, it can always be used in a shandy!!!!!

Tasted it and it was very sour?

1.7kg Brew Can

1kg BE1

Mixed to 23 litres

Expected OG: 1036 to 1038

Expected FG: 1012 to 1016

If it is actually sourness and not bitterness or a cidery character that you are perceiving as sourness, its not likely to improve in the bottle. Time will tell.

Bitterness will mellow with time in the bottle. Sourness won't. 1.018 sounds high but if your original reading of 1.042 is a few points high then maybe it's more around 1.014. Check the hydrometer in 20C water as advised and see what it reads.