Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

Hey Gang,

Happy New Year to you all!

In the absence of our ol' Canuck mate, I felt it only right to continue his brew day thread legacy here on the forum. smile

After 817 posts and 21388 views the 2016 Brew Day!! thread certainly continued to hold interest for brewers. Time for a new edition.

Please, lets continue on for another year of laughs and learning from each other!

Here's a link to Brew Day!! 2016 for reference purposes.

Regards,

Lusty.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys.

What better way to start off Chad's legacy "Brew Day" thread for 2017 than with the recipe I'm putting down today.

Canadian Eh!L's Big Island IPA:

Coopers Real Ale kit 1.7kgs

Coopers Light LME 1.5kgs

Light Dry Malt extract 400gms

Medium Crystal grain 125gms

Gladfield Supanova grain 125gms

American Oak Chips 30gms

Cascade 20gms @ 20mins

Nelson Sauvin 20gms @ 10mins

Amarillo, Cascade & Nelson 20gms dry hopped.

US-05/Nottingham slurry.

Brew to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.057

FG = approx. 1.015

EBC = 21.2

IBU = 68.3

Bottled ABV = 6.0%

Kegged ABV = 5.6%

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi all.

Putting down my first ever wheat beer and hoping for some subtle banana aromas and flavours. Also plan to split the batch into 3 at bottling time and trying 3 different flavours, one batch will be untouched, one batch i will bulk prime with honey, and the last i will boil some orange zest in water and add this with the priming sugar. See what happens!

1 Preachers hefe wheat can 1.7kg

1 Wheat LME can 1.5kg

Safbrew WB-06 pitched at 24C

Ferment at 22C

22 litres

Hi guys.

What better way to start off Chad's legacy "Brew Day" thread for 2017 than with the recipe I'm putting down today.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kgs

American Oak Chips 30gms

Cascade 20gms @ 20mins

Amarillo' date=' Cascade & Nelson 20gms dry hopped.

US-05/Nottingham slurry.

Brew to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.057

FG = approx. 1.015

EBC = 21.2

IBU = 68.3

Bottled ABV = 6.0%

Kegged ABV = 5.6%

Cheers,

Lusty.[/quote']

Happy new year, to all!

Thanks Lusty for picking up the "Brew day" ball and running with it!cool I was wondering what might happen with this long running, beauty of a thread. I hope it continues to be as popular as ever.

That version of BIIPA is looking mighty fine and very close to the original. I'm wondering what Gladfield supernova grain is?unsure

Regards,

Your humble Canuck

Hi guys.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kgs

American Oak Chips 30gms

Cascade 20gms @ 20mins

Amarillo' date=' Cascade & Nelson 20gms dry hopped.

US-05/Nottingham slurry.

Brew to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.057

FG = approx. 1.015

EBC = 21.2

IBU = 68.3

Bottled ABV = 6.0%

Kegged ABV = 5.6%

Cheers,

Lusty.[/quote']

That recipe looks huge! Just a quick question: what exactly do you do with the grains and the oak chips in that recipe?

From their website.

Supernova malt is a new roasted malt from Gladfield that adds nutty, toasted caramel flavours to a beer. It can be used as a replacement for traditional crystal malts to change the flavour characteristics and reduce the beers residual sweetness. We start this malt with Canterbury winter barley and take it through our germination process before it is roasted to develop flavour and colour.

@dadndave - These would most likely be steeped grains either in hot water for about 30 mins or cold water overnight. Drained then grains discarded. The wort from the steep would then be boiled to remove any nasties and typically used as the hop boil liquid. I would assume that the oak chips would be treated similar to a dry hop in a hop sock but I'm sure Lusty will answer how he intends to use them.

The recipe looks very good Lusty. I have most of the ingredients with the exception of the grains and oak chips so I might try something similar once I have a free FV and get to the LHBS to grab some grains.

Thanks Lusty for picking up the “Brew day” ball and running with it! I was wondering what might happen with this long running' date=' beauty of a thread. I hope it continues to be as popular as ever.

That version of BIIPA is looking mighty fine and very close to the original. I'm wondering what Gladfield supernova grain is?[/quote']

G'day mate, & Happy New Year! smile I didn't mean to steal your thunder, we just don't hear much from you anymore sad, & I wasn't sure if the thread was going to be made for 2017.

Are you just more involved with a full AG forum based there in Canada these days? unsure

Gladfield is a NZ based maltster. Gladfield Supernova

I hope you & your family are all well. happy

That recipe looks huge! Just a quick question: what exactly do you do with the grains and the oak chips in that recipe?

The grains are "crystal" type grains & only need to be steeped in 65-70°C water for approx. 30mins. Then use this in conjunction with some malt extract for your hop boil. If you don't plan on adding any extra hops' date=' just give the wort this grain steep produces a short 5-10min boil to kill off any potential nasties before adding it to your fermenter.

The oak chips can simply be thrown commando style directly into the fermenter with the rest of your ingredients prior to pitching your yeast, or you can contain them in a chux cloth pulled straight from the wrapper etc. Some folk are paranoid about the oak chips adding potential nasties, so they too can be added towards the end of the boil to kill any nasties. [img']wink[/img]

Looks good Lusty ' date=' look forward to trying it[/quote']

I saw you lurking on the other forum. tongue Hopefully I do this terrific recipe justice.

To those interested, the first time I brewed this beer, it just blew my mind! love

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've always gone commado with the oak chips at the same time as I pitched the yeast. I've never had any problems with nasties and I brewed this very beer several time as well as other oaked ales.

Naw Lusty. I'm not participating on any other brewing forums. I just sorta' stopped brewing all together several months back. My last brew day was maybe back in May and if not then March of 2016. Life just got in the way. My boys are at the age now that they are a hell of a lot of fun to spend my weekends with biking, hiking, fishing, etc. I had always intended to get back into it but the passion has fizzled a fair bit.

I do still have a mountain of raw ingredients that are calling to me to be used up and I did go as far as ordering some dry yeast packets a little while ago, but that's as far as I've got. In fact I'm thinking seriously about tearing down my 10 gallon brewery because it takes up so much space in the shop. Maybe I'll try a 5 gallon BIAB again someday with a set up that can be easily put away each time.

I've even gone as far as taking a break from drinking all together. I figure 20ish years of drinking heavily every night is probably enough for a while. I'm sure my body will appreciate it as I know SWMBO does!rolleyes I do miss having a nice beer in the evening after a hard day though. I just don't need 8-10 of them.

Seeing my Big Island IPA recipe still being brewed and talked about makes me feel good. That I could brew and create a mighty fine ale such as that as well as many others is something I can be proud of. Maybe one day I'll brew one again for myself. Just typing this post has been somewhat inspiring.

Happy brewing, Gang.

Chad

First brew day for the year and another easy drinker. An almost SMASH but Lusty convinced me to throw in some Magnum.

5kg Maris Otter

10g Magnum @ 60 min

10g Azacca @ 5 min

15g Azacca @ 0 min

20g Azacca - dry hop

US-05 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1052

IBU - 36 (no chill adj)

I will have a rare problem for me soon; too much beersurprised

...An almost SMASH but Lusty convinced me to throw in some Magnum.

Yes use it up Hairy' date=' & then NEVER buy it again! [img']biggrin[/img]

I will have a rare problem for me soon; too much beersurprised

"too much beer". Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one! tonguewink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

first brew of the year for me today and my second all grain batchbiggrin which is another SMaSH

batch size: 19L

OG: 1048

FG (estimated): 1010

ABV (estimated): 5%

IBU - no idea, struggling to work it out with no chilling

4kg Maris Otter

20g Ella @20 minutes

20g Ella @0 minutes

20g Ella @cube

40g Ella dry hop

US-05

Cheers,

Tom

Hoping to get something that resembles LC Rogers, in EBC, IBU and ideally ABV. Hopefully I'm on the right track as this is going on first thing in the morning.

A Good Rogering

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

250g Caramalt

20g Cascade (6% AA) @ 20 for 8.52 IBU

15g Ella (13.5% AA) @ 10 for 8.61 IBU

20g Cascade (6% AA) @ day 7

20g Ella (13.5% AA) @ day 7

Windsor yeast

23L

Ferment at 17 degrees for 12 days then CC at 3 degrees for 7 days

Target OG: ???

Target FG: ???

Target EBC: 36

Target IBU: 17.13

Target ABV: 3.8% ???

As you can see from my targets, I'm a little lost with some. This will be a few firsts for me. First time using Amber LME, first time using Ella and first time using grains.

Not that I'm going to change the recipe, or ingredients at least (already bought all the bits today), but does this sound like it will get me in the Rogers ball park?

The above brew has been delayed as I noticed while sanitizing that my FV sprung a leak in the tap seal. Will need to order a new tap before I put this down (which at leasts gives me some time to get some guidance) wink

If you guys/gals were brewing this would you change anything? And also, can someone please assist with what the target OG, FG and ABV should be based on the recipe?

That recipe looks fantastic Lusty I'm going to make it next month.

I'm putting down an English Stout and a Red Rattler Ale in the next two days. I'll be bottling my English bitter partial mash tomorrow.

I figured the stout would be fantastic by winter if I brew it now.

I'd be very proud of the Pacific Summer Ale as well Chad. I'll be opening and tasting your creation in two weeks. It's smelled fantastic when I brew it.

Cheers

My first brew day (well night) for 2017! I really wanted to do a Hop Hog clone, but my LHBS is out of M44 West Coast Ale yeast. I didn't want to use US-05 or M10 Workhorse on this brew, so have pushed it down the list and decided I will have two fermenters going in the brew fridge. A hoppy American Pale Ale up top and an English Pale (Timothy Taylor Landlord clone) down the bottom (where it is a tad warmer, 2C).

Just finished cleaning up a brew of Scottie's Styx River Pale Ale. I like the sound of Galaxy and Willamette together. Original link here and I copied and pasted Scottie's recipe below:

Styx River Pale

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale

1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

150g Pale Crystal (80EBC)

100g LDM

Galaxy 15g @ 15 minutes

Willamette 15g @ 15 minutes

Galaxy 20g @ 8 minutes

Willamette 15g @ 8 minutes

Galaxy 10g @ 0 minutes

Willamette 15g @ 0 minutes

I deviated from the exact recipe by using M10 Mangrove Jacks Workhorse yeast, built up in a 1L starter. Boil size was 9L.

Pitched at 20.9C, in the brew fridge at 9.30pm. I reckon I'll see activity by morning time. Feels good to be brewing again, been over a month since I have brewed. My last ferment was a cube I sealed the lid on in late November and tipped into the fermenter on 12 Dec.

Recipe: Simple Saison Says

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Saison

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

3.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 4 66.7 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 22.2 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 11.1 %

15.00 g Brewer's Gold [13.80 %] - First Wort 60. Hop 7 24.2 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Simple Saison Says

Style: Saison

TYPE: All Grain' date=' BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

3.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 4 66.7 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 22.2 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 11.1 %

15.00 g Brewer's Gold [13.80 %'] - First Wort 60. Hop 7 24.2 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your low OG brew for yeast harvesting? unsure

Have some K-97 yeast I want to try.

Recipe: Lightweight Kolsch

Style: Kölsch

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.036 SG

Estimated Color: 4.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 85.7 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 14.3 %

15.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 25.1 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 3.50 kg

Late start to today's brew day, grains are milled and just waiting for the strike water to heat up for the first batch of 2017. I'm doing another of those XXXX Bitter ripoffs, this time with BB Pils malt and 2042 yeast.

Grains

3.500 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 86.1 %

0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 4 1.2 %

0.015 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 5 0.4 %

**0.500 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar [boil for 10 min](0.0 EBC) Sugar 8 12.3 %

90 minute mash at 65C.

Hops

25.00 g Cluster [7.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.5 IBUs

20.00 g Cluster [7.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.8 IBUs

75-80 minute boil

Yeast

1.0 pkg Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042), 2.7L starter. Ferment at 12C, usual lager schedule.

**Dissolved in water and added with 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0410 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0042 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %

Bitterness: 25.3 IBUs

Est Color: 9.2 EBC

This will be the last of these brews, they were only done to see if I could really. Curiosity has been satisfied. tongue

Cheers

Kelsey

Just been nutting out my recipe for an Oatmeal Choc Stout to enter into the 2017 Newcastle Regional Show Brewers Championship.

Subject to change, but here's what I'm looking at:

(note: I brew extract with steeped grains)

21 Litre Batch

Fermentables:

1.5kg Dark LME (added towards end of boil)

1kg Light LME (added towards end of boil)

450g Milk Sugar (added towards end of boil)

300g Choc Grains

500g Roasted Barley

300g Crystal 60

450g Flaked Oats

HOPS:

Fuggles (40min boil)

Yeast: Nottingham maybe

O.G: 1.056

FG: 1.013

ABV: 5.80%

IBU: 26.03

Hopefully turns out alright and maybe also get some coffee flavours coming through from the roasted barley.

Open to some suggestions.

Archived