Coopers Community

Making Crystal Malt

Otto Von Blotto

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my next kilo of home-made pale malt and I'm going to use it to make crystal malt. I figure my next step is partial mash brews before I attempt an AG.

Does this idea of crushing grain with a rolling pin actually work? (I don't have a milling machine yet). I'm a bit worried that the random results of smashing grains to varying degrees would affect the efficiency when steeping the crystal malt for the final recipe and/or create excessive flour.

It does, but not very well and it's a right PITA at the same time, especially if you're needing to crush more than the usual 200-300g that might be added to a kit based brew. Personally I wouldn't be mucking around with a rolling pin for amounts needed for partial mash brews.

If you're looking at going all grain at some point in the future you might as well just buy a grain mill, because you'll be needing it if you are using uncracked grains. The Mashmaster ones are bloody good, I've had mine for 4 and a half years and it's still in excellent condition. I had to replace a roller in late 2015 because they stopped pulling the grains through properly. This was an issue with the old knurled style rollers, but they now come with fluted rollers (which is what my replacement one is) which are far superior.

Meanwhile, the brew I used my home made crystal in is due to be kegged tomorrow. The FG samples last week tasted really nice, different to commercially produced crystal but sweetness was evident and it was quite pleasant and suits the brew really well too. It'll be tapped in about 3 weeks or so once the next batch that goes in on Saturday is kegged.

Cheers

Kelsey

Meanwhile' date=' the brew I used my home made crystal in is due to be kegged tomorrow. T[/quote']

I may have to give this a poke sometime mate.

Home made Caraaroma would be good.

Have you ever made Roast Barley?

I'd love to know how they make Caraaroma and what malt they use for it. It still remains my favourite crystal malt of all. A red ale is on the cards again after this pilsner is brewed.

I haven't tried making roasted barley though, but I suppose if I got hold of some unmalted barley it wouldn't be terribly hard. You can make chocolate malt at home so roasted barley should be pretty much the same with unmalted barley grains.

Roasted barley? I still have 18kg of unmalted barley left so I might give that a try. Little bit of research required. Might even have a go at chocolate malt. I have no idea what Caraaroma is but I'll see if I can find out how it's made.

Seems to be both. Spring malt which is barrel roasted (I presume tumble roasted like coffee).

Anyway, meanwhile, I had a go at chocolate malt. Seemed to work OK. A munch of the grains leaves a definite residual dark chocolate flavour rather than a burnt flavour.

• 5 months later...

Archived