All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. elLachlano

BIAB Equip for newbee

Watching this keenly. Please report back your process. I reckon a cheap 1/2 batch setup would go nicely further down the track.
  3. MitchBastard

Todays tastings

Please do. “Loud mouth soup” is a favourite of mine too.
  4. PaddyBrew2

Todays tastings

I’ve gone craft megaswill too. Have a Pirate Life stout , Pirate Life IPA , feral biggie juice ( I’m getting underwhelmed by every can I drink of it ) and Beer Farm IPA (although that’s done by a local craft brewery )
  5. WildIslandBrewer

BIAB Equip for newbee

Put a real AG brew through my 1/2 batch DIY kettle and it went brilliantly. The $7.90 KMart jug heater element is too powerful, boiling up a real volcano. That also made mash control a bit iffy but found with the lid on it held the temp fine with minimal attention. My end game is to run it all on CraftBrewPI so I'll be able to temp control the mash a bit easier and I'll be able to control the boil max power. Still a small leak around the earthing bolt - I'll hi-temp silicone that. All up I'm pretty happy with it. Next up is to drill it for the thermowell then build the CraftBrewPI controller - gonna be a touchscreen beauty! The batch was an Irish Stout.
  6. Shamus O'Sean

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

Bilby Chocolate Porter - This month's Craft Recipe Of The Month 1.3kg Winter Dark Ale 250g Smooth Malt Extract 100g Midnight Wheat Grains 1tblsp Cocoa Powder 11g Lallemand Nottingham Yeast (Rehydrated) I made it up to 9.5L instead of the recommended 8.5L. I prefer to ease back the ABV of these craft recipes. OG 1.052 Set at 18°
  7. Otto Von Blotto

Todays tastings

Maybe it was old
  8. Beerlust

What Malt? What Hop? For Winter Pale?

Nice assortment & complexity there Pirate. They all sound incredibly nice. Cheers, Lusty.
  9. Beerlust

Todays tastings

Are you kidding me?
  10. Today
  11. Hairy

Todays tastings

The Lager was OK. It had a very Aussie lager taste to it but well made.
  12. Otto Von Blotto

Water questions 2019

Most does, like Epsom salts, table salt, sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride, I just find it easier to throw the rest in at the same time and tip it all into the urn. Gypsum somewhat dissolves but there probably isn't enough water in a 500ml jug to fully dissolve it like the others. Chalk won't dissolve at all unless it's in carbonated water under pressure, but the brewing software calculates its contribution to alkalinity on it not being dissolved. Sometimes I weigh them out and throw them straight in the urn before the strike water. I don't really use much carbonate unless it's in a dark beer because it hinders the mash pH from dropping down to the preferred range.
  13. Popo

Todays tastings

Hahaha - I've never heard that before. I think I'll steal it. How'd you find the lager @Hairy? I saw it at the airport on tap yesterday but bypassed it for an underwhelming 4 Pines Pale.
  14. Tommy1525230200

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Wow. What an awesome gig ...... dream job for sure. Meeting Bruce is one of my dreams. Met with Blaze Bayley and Paul Dianno. Saw Maiden 9 times and cant get enough. They made the brewing yesterday very enjoyable
  15. Lab Rat

Old mate of mine in the UK has his dream job. Flies around the world with Bruce, on his speaking tours. He does all the bookings and ferrying him from A to B. Bruce often flies himself to some of these. God knows how he got that gig, slackest bastard I ever knew... He even got a mention in Bruce's bio. Reads more like a bullet point diary than an autobiography. Lots of interesting things skimmed over, like his aviation business and his brewing business. A versatile interesting bloke, so many fingers and pies.
  16. Hairy

Todays tastings

I have gone for some Megaswill today. Started with a Pirate Life Port Lincoln Lager (the Captain would love it). Moved on to a Pirate Life Mosaic IPA. This is a really nice beer.
  17. bennysbrew

Todays tastings

It's Easter after all
  18. Hairy

Water questions 2019

You mix it in water first because it doesn’t fully dissolve in water?
  19. Popo

Water questions 2019

Thanks man.
  20. Hilltop hops

Todays tastings

Tried this Pilsner from Lobethal yesterday arvo, something different. Refreshing in yesterdays heat. Today its good old Pirate Life Pale and a iipa.
  21. Otto Von Blotto

Water questions 2019

I usually mix it up in a little water first, but it doesn't fully dissolve. It is then added to the mash water before it's heated to strike temp and given a little stir. Then the water is heated, and the movement created by the heating finishes off the dissolving. I use distilled water for most of my beers, and create various profiles with mineral salt additions. Other than the pH being different in rainwater, which doesn't really have any effect anyway, there aren't a lot of differences in terms of what's required for different styles.
  22. Tommy1525230200

Lol Strangely enough Mötorhead and Maiden played loud during the brew
  23. Lab Rat

First upgrade: Motorhead T Shirt.
  24. Popo

Water questions 2019

Cheers @Greeny1525229549 I'll give it a go - just sprinkle it in? Get it from LHBS?
  25. Hairy

It will do the job because that t-shirt is cool.
  26. Tommy1525230200

That's my "I am on budget, saving for a house deposit and expecting second son" set up. Nothing fancy yet, just Cooper 23l and 8l FV. Have 2 batches bubbling away now brewed yesterday. Still learning and looking forward upgrades soon
  27. MitchBastard

Todays tastings

Treating myself to a few circular sangas for lunch. First up is a thunder lips red ipa. goes good
  1. Load more activity