All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Worthog

My first AG brew

Are your cubed hops contained or commandoed? I would assume contained which you then remove prior to kegging? And how does your cube hopping work with your Polyclar regime? Cheers
  3. Otto Von Blotto

Scum ring and cleaning

It doesn't need to be sparkling but if you want it that way, dissolve a little citric acid in a couple of litres of water, boil it (this will remove the scale off the bottom), then when it cools down enough to touch, give the pot a scour with it. Rinse and dry.
  4. Worthog

Scum ring and cleaning

@karlos_1984 , dont worry about it. My 40L aluminium pot is very discolored after 20 or so batches. I just give it a quick sponge scour with cold water at my back tap. Then leave upside down in the shed to dry. Your boil pot does not need to be sanitary, just relatively clean. Cheers
  5. Today
  6. I liked it the port taste came thru very lightly at the end but as expected the acl/ vol went up.
  7. Navigator

Best way to add fruit?

Still sitting in the keg for another week, but pre kegging it was unusual as u say. Will let you know next week this week I'm going to try it with frozen mangoes.
  8. Interesting. How'd the one with the port turn out? I made a toucan stout in February to have for this winter. I set aside a dozen Long necks and only primed with one carb drop to age for 12 months. The rest I kept for this winter. Just grabbed one to have with lunch on this cold home brew Wednesday. I've only got 5 stubbies and 1 long neck left to last me until the end of this winter. Enjoying it way too much...
  9. ozlizard

Best way to add fruit?

I did the same. How did your BB turn out Navigator? Drank the last of mine about a week ago, unusual beer, very dry, probably a better summer brew?
  10. ozlizard

Scum ring and cleaning

The bottom of mine discolored after the first use! Given that they are cheap and therefore probably not top grade SS I wouldn't worry about it.
  11. I love my stout, I have tried lots of different things like swapping the sugar to brown sugar also I have waited for fermentation to be just about done then added a cheap bottle of port to it, one of my favs.
  12. karlos_1984

Scum ring and cleaning

Just did a quick stove top boil up of some LDM and a quick hop schedule to add to a kit beer. It's the 19 ltr big W stainless pot and today was only its second time being used. When I finished I rinsed it thoroughly under hot water and used a steel wool scourer thing to clean it. However there's still a noticeable scum ring from where the hot break was bubbling away. I can't seem to get rid of it. What else should I use to clean it with? The bottom is also starting to discolour as well.
  13. King Ruddager

Red

Me either but I went with it anyway so we'll see what happens 🤣
  14. The Captain!!

Red

Is this thread about Lager........ I’m out. 🤪
  15. BlackSands

fermenting times

Or... just CC for a shorter period. Even 2 or 3 days CC would be better than zero days.
  16. Lab Rat

fermenting times

If you are short on time and want to be sure it's done, skip the crash, just bottle it.
  17. Otto Von Blotto

Red

I don't think Caraaroma would suit a lager, but it depends on what you're trying to make. Actually I don't think really any crystal malt suits lagers other than maybe the light ones in small amounts. I used to use carared in my German lager but I don't bother anymore with the small black malt addition doing the same thing color wise.
  18. ChristinaS1

Red

10% Munich in a pale ale? Gag. 10% Vienna in a pale ale? Yum.
  19. King Ruddager

Red

So this is turning into a bit of a recipe thread now, but in the same way I have a "standard" pale mix of 85% base (schooner, MO, ale), 10% other base (usually munich) and 5% some other crystal I'm thinking a similar thing might work for lagers. In this case I've gone with 85% pils, 10% vienna and 5% caraaroma, plus a pinch of black malt for luck.
  20. Yesterday
  21. King Ruddager

Red

5% Caraaroma will darken it a fair bit actually ... looks like 24 EBCs, or "Medium Amber" according to this: Will probably affect the taste of my lager, but I'm not going for a true lager style anyway, just something ... well ... just beer.
  22. Otto Von Blotto

My first AG brew

I just throw my cubes in the pool for an hour or two when I make hoppy ales, after a ten minute stand once filled. The wort is probably around 85 degrees after it's transferred to the cube. I've had good results from cube hops.
  23. Otto Von Blotto

Red

Chuck 15g black malt in. Won't affect the flavour but will slightly darken the beer.
  24. King Ruddager

Red

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do actually
  25. karlos_1984

A Question Of Improving A Retail Beer

As far as I'm aware, all Cooper's range have a "best after" date listed on the bottle/can instead of "use by" or "best before" as they're conditioned naturally in the bottle/can.
  26. porschemad911

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Fermenter is empty atm, trying to decide which of 2 beers to brew next. I've got ingredients on hand and different yeast slurries in the fridge for both my all-grain Aramis pils and a kit-based Simcoe Black DIPL. Have to do them one after the other so it's a tough choice. Going to be a busy few weeks ahead so maybe I'll freeze up the 4l ice brick that will help get the kit beer to pitching temp. Cheers, John
  27. James Lao

My first AG brew

When I was doing AG with the Robobrew it would take 20-mins to get it from 80degC to around 25degC, with the immersion chiller. I would fill the pool or the water tank with the IC discharge. The weather in Perth at the minute it would be a fair bit faster. I have read fast chilling wort from the boil aids in clearer beer? But water savings is a good idea too! Cheers James
  28. Otto Von Blotto

Kegerator For sale....

Cheeky peak. It's a triple tap cobra font. The tubes that the beer lines connect to are larger than the usual shank barbs, too big for 5mm ID line although I managed to get it on them with pliers, boiling water and keg lube. When I replace the beer lines I'll probably get 6mm though.
  1. Load more activity