Coopers Community

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Mexican Cerveza. Roughly 10 days in the keg. Follow the links to the recipe. Lager-y beer aroma with herbal and floral notes Nice crisp malty flavour Mild bitterness Good beer
  3. Good question. Unfortunately I have no idea. My 100ml bottle is still 4/5ths full. I got it ages ago. The only clue is it has three numbers printed on the cap, one under the other: 20180601, 20180602, and 20200601. Maybe that means January 6th of 2020? Maybe google can help you out. Let us know if you find anything.
  4. The FermZilla sounds like the best option. Depending on the volume, you could also use a keg. One with a hook under the lid to tie a hop sock with the oak chips, so it is easier to remove the hop sock later. Whatever you decide to use, I think it should be able to vent off excess pressure, just in case you get a tiny bit more fermentation.
  5. Pretty sure they are 3.8%. So almost a mid-strength. Surprisingly flavour full for that ABV.
  6. Not usually a Sour fan. Had this one a couple times now, it is sensational.
  7. @stquinto sounds like you have it all worked out now that's great.
  8. Let us know if it tastes close to the original
  9. I visited 2 RSL Clubs this morning, Marion & Plympton-Glenelg, a few quick shots of the latter attached. Both were packed, we had a couple of drinks with old Diggers in both but I left before the 2-up started. I am cooking a meal for a few tonight so I had to be on the ball. Cheers & Beers. Phil.
  10. Thanks @Graculus, but that is not neat writing! In Primary School I was one of the last years taught to write in 'modified cursive' running writing, and that sample would have failed.
  11. Very nice Jenny. Very neat writing too. I've had the odd brew started on certain days. ANZAC, birthday, New Years Eve, St Georges day, but I've never neatly written a label like that. Mine have barely legible numbers scrawled on the lid.
  12. It's still fermenting. SG is at about 1.017 (OG 1.038), looks like it's still got a little way to go.
  13. The hazy IPA is living up to it's name
  14. Mate the colour looks spot on hiw did it taste when you were bottling it?
  15. A little iodophor goes a long way so my 4 yr old 500ml bottle is stillin use. Today I noticed that the 1ml/1litre addition seemed to be paler than I think it used to be. I am wondering if it is degraded and less potent. I added more to be sure.
  16. Sticks and Stones Pacific Ale Earle's Stone & Wood clone recipe courtesy of @Back Brewing
  17. Pink Motel Rose's Sour Oak Aged Helles (community brew) Fresh Haze Hazy IPA Chilli choc hazelnut milk stout At The Mill Brewery for the Merri Mashers April meeting
  18. After bottling my latest batch of Coopers Aust. Pale Ale this morning; I was in a bit of a trance writing out the labels and realized I had re-named one as Anzac Day Pale Ale! I thought I liked that and that's what half the bottles are now labelled.
  19. Yesterday
  20. Maybe transfer when it has a few points left to go so it will fill up the headspace with CO2 for you? As far as fermenters to limit oxygen. Glass with a bung would be best but with 4 weeks only i think plastic would be fine. If was 2 or 3 months + i would be more concerned personally. Thats my 2 cents.
  21. Agree. People tend to go straight to the forum to ask questions and not look at FAQs. Most answers to questions are already there.
  22. This one is 250ml but sadly only one on the shelf. They go for all sorts of crazy prices on the internet, I paid 50c. I still haven't decided if I am a collector or a hoarder, but I can't resist grabbing them when I see them.
  23. I'm planning a porter I want to give an aged barrel feel to. I've done some digging on the topic and figured out how I am going to do this in the absence of an old rum barrel. I'll basically brew the porter and let it ferment for a week, by which time it should be done and dusted. I will then tack it into a 2nd fermenter, which will get a bag with rum soaked rum barrel oak chips added to it and then left for about four weeks to re-create that rum barrel flavour. From what I hear four weeks is a good time span for this without things getting overbearing. The only thing I haven't worked out is which fermenter to use for aging. Generally, I like the Coopers fermenters for their ease of use and with an active fermentation going on, they're perfectly safe. Higher pressure inside will prevent air from coming in and when in a stable temperature environment, there is no flow back of air. However, in an ambient environment, where the temperature will change a few degrees up and down, this is a different story, especially with no fermentation going on. Would one of those fermenters be suitable for the job? What if I taped it up? Should I reactivate the old screw lid fermenter I still have? The airlock hole is taped over and the lid can be tightened to prevent air from getting in. I'm also worried about oxygen exposure. I can't purge the FV with CO2 and basically the entire top third of the FV will be regular air with its 21% oxygen. Not ideal conditions to store. I don't want to tie up the FermZilla for 4 weeks, although that would probably be a good solution. Maybe rack into a cube and "commando oak?" That would reduce oxygen exposure significantly. But maybe I am just overcomplicating things. Any idea how I can tackle this?
  24. Abbey de Rochefort number 6 (7.5%, dunno where the 6 comes from) Not half bad… that’s the extent of my tasting notes go, it’s past Cinderella’s bed time
  25. My great uncle was Diver Derrick my family always salute him on ANZAC DAY
  26. Have a great Anzac Day 2024 everyone.
  27. I've not had a Coopers Sparkling in ages, I can only source COPA here. I tend to make brews at least 5%, it's the inner p*ss-head coming out in me... Either way, it's a lovely drop
  1. Load more activity