• Last visited

• Days Won

Tone boy last won the day on February 23 2023

Tone boy had the most liked content!

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

1,070 profile views

Tone boy's Achievements

1. Thanks @BlackSands Sandman! Looks like mine will be fine then - stored indoors at 20 degrees C. Some of the ones I stored at 30 degrees for a week or so were fine - though a little undercarbonated. I suspect though that is due to only using 2 carb drops instead of my usual heaped sugar measure
  2. Thanks BB. A good article and thanks for sharing. A little bit of info on bottling in there too! As it was fermented at 35 degrees, I’m not sure 30 degrees for bottle conditioning is necessarily asking for trouble. There are many different strains of Kveik (I used Voss) and each one will behave slightly differently of course. I was really just interested if I could store them in the brew cupboard at 22 degrees and carbonation would still occur… As it turns out, I have now bottled the beer and am undertaking an exbeeriment: 16 bottles stored at 30 degrees C 2 bottles stored at 22 degrees C 10 bottles stored at 22 degrees C with a small amount of rehydrated Coopers yeast added to each bottle. I tried one of the ones stored at 30 degrees last night. There was definitely carbonation. Was quite nice, although more time in the bottle will be beneficial obviously as it was still very young. Cheers TB
  3. Hi all, First post in a while, I’ve been unable to brew while moving house, and some travel. Back into it now with my first brew using Kveik. My question revolves around bottle carbonation with Kveik, and probably best to tag in the Sandman @BlackSands here ‘cos I know he has a lot of knowledge in this area. I fermented the beer at 35 degrees C. After bottling to I have to raise the temperature back up to 30 degrees or thereabouts to kick start bottle fermentation? Or does room temp at 22 degrees work? And how long does bottle fermentation take with Kveik? I assume it is quick just like the initial fermentation. Hope you are all well and happy. cheers, Tone
  4. Probably depends on how they were stored. Hops degrade, from what I have read, due to time, heat, oxygen and light. Exposure to one or more of those variables will reduce the life of hops. If you have the bag(s), sometimes they have the harvest year on them. I store my hops in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer. Older hops can give the grassy flavour you described. I have used El Dorado hops before and they did give me a bit of a over ripe fruit vibe - not sure if that’s the “funky” you’re getting…
  5. Just a query, if you brew a concentrated wort, are you taking the measurement after adding the extra water? Is that water mixed in thoroughly? Is the sample taken from the bottom through a tap?
  6. I reckon I can pick a beer with Saaz hops. It seems to have a particular flavour for me that I can get straight away. Not saying I’m better than you PM it just seems to be distinctive to me. New world hops, or hop combos are hard for me to pick. A lot of the newer fruity hops seem fairly similar to me. Pride of Ringwood maybe another one I could pick…
  7. Keep the amount of specialty grain the same. Interesting BS. So did you get a 20 litre pot for the boil? Do you mash in the same pot?
  8. Great thanks. I might give that a go - flameout only hops. I have a 10 litre fermenter somewhere that’s feeling neglected. Don’t know about a smash tho - might add some quick oats too for a Stone & Wood haze
  9. Thanks heaps @do not consume I think you used to whirlpool immediately after the boil IIRC…so 99 degrees C and dropping?
  10. Sorry @davids47 just saw you were after a 10 litre batch. You could just scale that recipe down to 10 litres…
  11. How much would you put in whirlpool for a 23 litre batch DNC? If that was the only bittering addition?
  12. You could try this…..just sub in dry malt for the maris otter, up to the same OG. Although 60 min boil might be a bit much….maybe up the hops to 25g or so, and do a 20 min boil.
  13. My FV has an airlock too. When I CC, I tip out the old liquid in the airlock, and fill it with new no rinse sanitizer. Yes it does bubble back through in reverse, but now my airlock is nice and clean so it doesn’t matter if any liquid somehow makes it’s way into the FV