Beerlust

Coopers Club Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Beerlust last won the day on August 23 2020

Beerlust had the most liked content!

6 Followers

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Beerlust's Achievements

1. "Ben10" to the "Green Blob". A transformation I'm glad I missed. LOL Lusty.
  2. Hi Graubart. People get confused about head "development" & head "retention". To the best of my knowledge, I've NEVER stated wheat malt increases head "retention". I have however always been an advocate that it improves head "development". It's one thing to create a malt profile & carbonation level to produce a good head on a beer, it is another thing to help make it stick around & stay there until the bottom of the glass. Cheers & good brewing, Lusty.
  3. He's still around, just has some personal issues he's dealing with right now.
  4. Hopefully there is enough in that stash under the bed to fund the planned keg setup. P.S. I knew you'd end up in the keg space eventually. A good move you won't regret. Cheers, Lusty.
  5. +1 I'd start the mash just before you leave for Costco. As long as your temp control on the Guten is good, I wouldn't think the longer timeframe would cause any negative effects, & do your boil when you get home. Just my 20 cents. Lusty.
  6. Then don't bother looking in your wallet. Only moths in there.
  7. Here's a deal, I'll sell you the empty one for $250?
  8. If all you want is blandness & clean bittering in a beer you are making..."this buds for you". Lusty.
  9. Hi guys. I kept one bottle of this beer at the back of my fridge from the only batch made approx. 6 years ago. I never had any plans to open it, & thought maybe I'd offer it up for sale down the track due to it's limited numbers & unique collaboration between Coopers & the craft Lobethal Bierhaus brewery. To heck with that theory. Curiosity finally got the better of me about whether this beer would be any good to drink after 6 odd years in the bottle. I was expecting all sorts of mediocrity & off flavours at best. I was wrong. It was delicious! Delicious caramel, & nutty flavours with a good, if slightly effervescent carbonation & puffy head that could be expected after 6 years. Glad I cracked it. Lusty.
  10. I actually don't hate Magnum hops. I just needed to highlight it's "boringness" (for another word) with my posts here on the forum. The original hop was developed in about 1980. That is now 40 years ago for those keeping count. At the time of it's development it became a market leader mainly due to it's higher alpha acid composition, & how clean the bittering aspect it produced at a lower cost per weight when back-end (long boiled) for bittering a beer that was pretty par for the course for how most beers were made at the time. It took quite a while for new hop types to be developed to even rival this hop for what it delivered. In the last 7-8 years though, numerous hop varieties have been developed that offer better cost savings due to higher alpha levels, & contribute lovely, complimentary, residual aspects to a beer when long boiled like Magnum traditionally is, that have me question why this hop still remains as popular as it does. Many hops developed in or pre-1980 are no longer grown & produced commercially because genetically superior hop varieties have been developed since that offer higher intensity, more complex residual, complimentary outcomes, that are more cost effective by weight. 1980 was a good year, but it doesn't mean your beers have to be stuck there. Move on (IMHO). Just my 20 cents, Lusty.
  11. The brewery have done well to keep the hops used in the recipe a secret. It does say a trio of Australian hops & given the taste descriptors I'd suggest Galaxy, Cascade, & maybe Vic Secret that are all grown in Australia. No idea of the quantities or sequencing of a hop schedule. Given it's aimed at being a sessionable beer, I wouldn't think the amounts used wouldn't be overly high. Best of luck coming up with a recipe. Lusty.
  12. That sounds like something you'd need to mop up. Aussie Kolsch will do. I've not heard of anyone using PoR on this style (someone probably has though), but figure it would work well. I haven't used the Lallemand Köln dry yeast before, but if it works well, I may use it in place of US-05 in future brews. I've enjoyed what the Wyeast 2565 produces & if this dry yeast strain can replicate that, I'll likely shift because the kölsch strain has a more versatile temp range to either create cleaner, crisper beers, or a beer with an ester profile, that US-05 does not, particularly with the ester profile side. https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/australia/product-details/lalbrew-koln-kolsch-style-ale-yeast/ This strain may end up being the solution yeast to the hybrid "grail" type beer I have been working on intermittently over the last 4-5 years. More testing vs the main lager yeast strains will be required on that front though. Cheers & good brewing, Lusty.
  13. I purchased some Super Pride recently (higher alpha version of PoR) & plan to make a Kolsch with it.
  14. I've stated I believe wheat malt helps with head development, not with retention. They are two different things. Wheat malt has a higher protein level than barley malt. Close though. Cheers, Lusty.
  15. All the best Titan. It has been nice chatting with you over the years on the forum. Take care of yourself. Cheers, Lusty.